Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trip to Arlington

Today was a challenge and I failed. My sister Judy and I took my dad to Arlington National Cemetary for my brothers inurnment. It was a moving ceremony on a beautiful day, Larry would have been pleased. We left early in the morning to make the drive down and didn't have time to stop for coffee or breakfast. We did take healthy snacks along which was good because my dad took his insulin and didn't eat breakfast so we were forcing food on him. We arrived about 15 minutes before we were to meet with the Chaplain and 45 minutes later the ceremony started. After the ceremony we chatted with my sister Patty who drove in from Indiana and then decided to visit JFK's burial site. We left Arlington and wanted to stop at a restaurant near Mount St Mary's that my dad liked. We didn't get there until close to 2:00 and by that time we were very hungry. Should have known that my dad would pick a buffet. Yep . . . all you can eat! Well, Judy and I who are both watching our weight didn't do to bad first go around. Yes, there was a second visit to the buffet and I had a piece of fried chicken, some mashed potatoes and a red beet egg. Judy didn't do much better with chicken and mac-n-cheese. The worst was yet to come. Our visit to the desert bar was awful. We skipped the jello and fruit and went straight for the good (or should I say bad) stuff. I had a very small piece of chocolate cake with chocolate icing, a slice of lemon meringue pie and apple crisp. And of course the unsweetened ice tea with splenda to drink.

I'm hoping that pushing my dad in the wheelchair up and down the hills at the cemetary burned off the thousands of calories I later consumed. Guess we'll see on Friday.

3 comments:

CandiO said...

But is the ball blown up???

CandiO said...

Well...you know what they say. Start over the next day. A new day, a new beginning. I'm not sure what to say besides I'm sorry you gave in???? I'm not sure whether to give you heck or not. I don't want to be the heavy here (ha ha), but YOU HAVE TO STICK WITH THIS. DON'T GIVE IN!!!! You have a goal and the only way you are going to reach it is to stick to your original plan. Read your first posts and remember what you want to do. Believe me, I am not perfect, but I do realize something this time around that I didn't think about all the other times I tried and failed. I think about when I succeeded quitting smoking 15 (woo hoo) years ago. When I first was going through the days and weeks, I remember saying to myself "I don't want to put myself through this again. I will never smoke again. This is too hard." That's how I'm trying to remember to stick with this now. I don't want to start over at where I was in January. I need to keep making the right choices, and so do you! It's the only way you will succeed. Just remember that. I think you need a drill sargeant!!!! I want to read your blog and see SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS!!! I'm sure you do too! Keep sticking with it Kathy. Don't sway. I am behind you all the way!!! Now go blow up that ball.......NOW!

Shalana said...

Man Candi is TOUGH..LOL But I know I could use a Biggest Loser Trainer...Even though I dont like someone telling me to push, I push to prove a point so I think I would work well under those circumstances. We are similar in that we make small mistakes that can be costly but I think that continuing and not giving in is the key. Even though you took some bites that were not the best I always like to think of starting fresh with the next bite. I have progressed as I use to start fresh every Monday so I have grown!! You can do it and I tell myself the same everyday!! One day I will reach the point of Super Success..so I agree with Candi in the fact that we both should probably be a little bit stronger and not give in so quickly to trigger foods but we will get there..one small baby step at a time. Oh yeah...BLOW UP THE BALL...I know for a fact that I would not be losing as much if I would not have incorporated exercise!!! Can I get a status update when the ball is blown up and in use??